Business Education (BA)
In Germany, in addition to traditional schools, there are also a large number of vocational business schools. Teachers at these schools teach business studies, and have completed a Bachelor's degree in business studies followed by a Master's degree in business education.
Business education can be chosen as a specialisation in the Business Studies Bachelor's degree programme. As well as preparing for the Master's degree, you will gain important skills for a career in business. In addition to business studies, you will also study education science, giving you knowledge and skills that are important for careers in various fields, such as training and development in human resources. The main focus of the Master's degree programme is on teaching methods, meaning that working with vocational schools plays an important role.
After completing the Business Education Master's degree programme you may work at a company or begin training to become a teacher. In Bavaria this Master's degree is equivalent to the first State Examination in teaching (Lehramt) and therefore qualifies graduates to start the two year teacher training (Referendariat) that leads to the second State Examination. It therefore gives graduates a way into the teaching profession at vocational schools.
- After the postgraduate Master's degree in Business Education become a teacher of business studies and possibly a secondary subject at a vocational school (e.g. Berufsschule, Wirtschaftsschule, Fachoberschule or Berufsoberschule)
- carry out training at companies
- HR training and development in companies
Due to their broad knowledge of business and the many different options available during the degree programme, business education experts can also work in other departments in businesses.
- an interest in business
- basic knowledge of mathematics and willingness to study mathematics during the degree programme, as this is essential in many parts of the degree programme, such as economics and statistics
- an interest in education science and working with people
- You will gain knowledge of a broad range of topics within the field of business studies.
- You have the opportunity to study education science, which makes up around one quarter of the content, as part of a Bachelor's degree programme. Master's degree programmes build on this knowledge.
- If you would like to take a secondary teaching subject you can choose between a wide range of subjects (see here for an overview).
- Three quarters of the degree programme focuses on business studies and is unrelated to education science, as business studies is the subject that you will teach if you later choose to become a teacher. You should consider this weighting of the subjects when deciding whether this is the right degree programme for you.
- Mathematics and statistics are part of the degree programme.
- If, after completing the Business Education Master's degree programme, you would like to start teacher training (Referendariat) for vocational schools, you must complete a business-based placement lasting one year by the end of the Master's degree programme at the latest, or have already completed vocational training in an area of business. The placement is not a compulsory part of the degree programme itself but must be completed if you wish to become a teacher. In light of this, you should reserve time outside of the lecture period or during a semester of leave for placements.
The FAU website provides an overview of the current application deadlines as well as information on the selection process and how to apply.
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Would you like to get a better idea of the topics, questions and methods you can expect in a degree programme? If so, you can take a short test here with example questions about your chosen degree programme and studying in general. The test will help you to see how interested you are in the subject and whether the content of the degree programme is right for you.
Please note: To complete the test, you will be redirected to StudOn. StudOn is FAU’s official teaching and learning platform which you will be using during your future studies.
Degree type: Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Type of study: One subject Bachelor's degree programme
Standard duration of study: 6 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Admission: No Admissions Restrictions
Size: (200+ Students)
Early entrance programme: no
Part-time study: no
Faculty: Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law