Clean Energy Processes (BSc)
The Bachelor's program in Clean Energy Processes provides students with a comprehensive understanding in clean energy and clean energy processes. Today engineers are required to be able to work on questions of energy change and to find the neccessary solutions for a sustainable future for the planet.
The unique course is interdisciplinary in its approach and integrates knowledge from other fields like business, ethics and sustainability. You will learn in an international and research-oriented environment with the language of teaching being English.
Students will have the possibility to develop and obtain knowledge on cutting-edge research in energy processes done by the Helmholtz Institute for Renewable Energies and other relevant institutes situated at or in close proximity to FAU (e.g. Energy Campus Nürnberg, Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits, Bavarian Center for Applied Energy Research e.V.).
Students should have
- an interest in science and engineering,
- a good understanding of mathematics and basics in physics and chemistry,
- curiosity towards sustainability issues and economic correlations associated with the changing climate,
- a good amount of team and communication skills, as your peers will become your work, study, and leisure family with joint lab courses, research projects, course assignments and extracurricular activities,
- all prospective students should be united in the incentive to reshape industrial processes with clean energy technologies.
Qualification assessment test:
All applicants to the B.Sc. CEP have to pass a qualification assessment test (Eignungsfeststellungsverfahren) in order to enrol in the program.
- Step 1: proficiency in English and Mathematics + grade in the German Abitur or some acknowledged equivalent to this from other countries
- Step 2: grade in the German Abitur or some acknowledged equivalent to this from other countries and grade from an admission interview
- The admission interview serves to demonstrate your interest in studying the degree program and your abilities in the fundamental subjects of the degree program (mathematics, physics and chemistry).
Please be aware that the secondary education qualification from your school in your home country does not neccessarily entitle you to study at a German university. International applicants might have to take an assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung) before they can be admitted. Information on the types of international university entrance qualifications and the type of access to university can be found here. If you are not sure whether your educational background can be considered a University Entrance Qualification in Germany please visit the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). By stating your home country, and qualifications obtained there, and by answering some country-specific questions you can find out whether you are eligible to study in Germany.
The B.Sc. CEP program provides students with a comprehensive understanding in Clean Energy processes.
The study plan includes:
- basic science (e.g.mathematics, physics)
- basic engineering (e.g. foundations of chemical reaction engineering, materials and structures, measurement systems)
- basic economics
- subject-specific basics (e.g. renewable energies, electrochemistry, fundamentals of energy resources)
- active project
- 2 elective modules
- Bachelor’s thesis
Key and additional qualification
Students can choose from FAU’s catalogue of elective modules.
There is a rising demand for engineers that have an extensive knowledge of innovative technologies for renewable new energy systems and energy production. Graduates can significantly participate in the successful introduction of new sustainable energy systems and energy processes and adequately evaluate sustainability on a global scale. As they have more experience with international and research-related topics than other graduates, they are especially suited for tasks with on the highest level of engineering with an international focus or to pursue further studies leading to a master’s degree and/or PhD.
- Energy production and logistics
- Process optimization and intensification
- Consulting and auditing
- Energy companies/providers
- Sustainable chemical industry
- Sustainable bio-industry
- Policy and decision making
- Ph.D. in (sustainable) chemical and process engineering
- A high level of English is required because all compulsory courses are held in English and English is also often needed for the exchange with fellow international students.
- Although the degree program is interdisciplinary in its design, it places great importance on ensuring that students gain a thorough education in engineering. It includes elements in mathematics, physics and chemistry which can be quite demanding.
- You should be willing to study mathematics as it is an important part of the degree program.
- You should be open to learning foreign languages as language courses are part of the degree program.
Degree type: Bachelor of Science (BSc)
Type of study: One subject Bachelor's degree programme
Standard duration of study: 6 Semester
Start date of degree program: Winter Term
Language: Entirely in English
Size: (currently 1-50 Students)
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering
Admission: Aptitude test