Data Science (MSc)
Data Science has become a revolutionary technology that everyone seems to talk about. It is becoming a key concept for large private businesses, public institutions and research. While it is not easy to define it in a few words, data science deals with the methods and tools needed to analyze data and draw actionable conclusions from the results gained in the process. These methods and tools, which cover big data and their analysis, data modeling, machine learning, and simulation methods, are located mainly at the intersection of three subjects: computer sciences, mathematics, and statistics. Consequently, this new Master’s program at Friedrich-Alexander University is jointly taught by lecturers from these three fields.
This program uses dynamic learning methodologies to ensure our students stand out in today’s competitive job market. Students will enjoy a wide variety of long-lasting benefits:
- Hands-on teaching methodology.
- A world-class institution.
- Individual, interest-based curriculum.
- A completed B.Sc. degree in Mathematics, Industrial Mathematics, Mathematical Economy, Computer Science, Data Science, or Physics from FAU or another equivalent domestic or international degree that is not significantly different with regard to the competence profile taught in the respective degree. Please note that your competence profile cannot be evaluated in advance, but only by the admission committee after completing the application process (described below).
- A Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or better with respect to the German grading system. Candidates with an admissible degree (described above) and a GPA between 2.6 and 2.8 are invited for a short online interview in which their knowledge in calculus, linear algebra, algorithms and data structures is evaluated. An online tool for converting grades to the German grading system using the Bavarian formula can be found here.
- English proficiency at level B2 CEFR (vantage or upper intermediate) or six years of English classes at a German secondary school (Gymnasium). Applicants who have completed their university entrance qualifications or their first degree in English are not required to provide proof of proficiency in English. A list of accepted language proficiency certificates can be found here.
The standard time to degree is four semesters (two years). Currently, there is no part-time option for studying M.Sc. Data science. Students must acquire 120 ECTS. The program is structured as follows:
Detailed information regarding modules and study plan can be found under „Important document and further info“ paragraph in the „Module Handbook“ section.
Please find more detailed information on how to apply for a Master or advanced degree program on the following website: https://master.fau.de.
Degree type: Master of Science (MSc)
Type of study: Master
Standard duration of study: 4 Semester
Start date of degree program: Summer Term, Winter Term
Language: Entirely in English
Size: (currently 250-600 Students)
Faculty: Faculty of Natural Sciences
Admission: Qualification assessment