Economics (teaching degree)
This programme prepares you for becoming an economics teacher by obtaining knowledge in economics and teaching methods. In economics, you study business administration and economics, law and financial accounting. Most of the content is identical with the content of the Bachelor's degree programme Economics. In addition, you study teaching methods and education theory.
Economics (BA) and the teaching degree (Lehramt) are virtually identical during the first six semesters. In the teaching degree, you also complete modules in curricular subjects and education theory. The teaching degree for secondary schools (Lehramt für Gymnasien) comprises additional modules (Vertiefung) in the seventh to ninth semester, such as advanced seminars in business administration and economics.
This degree programme prepares you for a variety of careers by equipping you with relevant theoretical knowledge and practical skills. You can fill a whole range of positions in:
Students should have
- an interest in current affairs in economics and business administration
- an interest in dealing with complex and controversial economic issues
- the ability to familiarise yourself with new topics by reading relevant literature, also in English
- the readiness to learn and understand analytical economic models
- You can combine your degree programme modules with a variety of modules form other subjects.
- The degree programme covers a wide range of topics.
- The contents are relevant for many areas of social research.
- You can study in the wonderful city of Erlangen.
- In economics, abstract thinking is required, which does not come naturally to everybody.
- Many economic models are formalised mathematically.
- At the start of the degree programme you will attend many large introductory lectures. However, tutorials often take place in small groups.
The FAU website provides an overview of the current application deadlines as well as information on the selection process and how to apply.
Start date of degree programme: Winter TermPre-registration procedure (only those who have registered by 15.7. will receive a place at the university). Further information can be found on the Homepage of the FAU.
Degree type: State Examination
Type of study: Teaching Degree
Standard duration of study: 8 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Admission: No Admissions Restrictions
Early entrance programme: no
Part-time study: no
Faculty: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology
Student Advice and Career Service (IBZ)
Information on studying teaching