Students acquire knowledge and skills to develop and analyse education, teaching and qualification processes. They are provided with fundamental skills to help them support the learning and development processes of individuals and groups, orientated towards lifelong learning. The degree programme is also concerned with the systematic professional development of teaching and learning institutions in society, education, business, politics, culture, science, religion, family and day-to-day life.
Graduates can work in many different areas. This vast number of options is reflected in the degree programme in three ways:
- broad general educational perspective
- specific profile development (Culture and aesthetics in education, international education, media education or organisational education)
- research orientation
Students acquire organisational skills, analytical skills and knowledge of methods to conduct research in the various fields of education.
Students can specialise in Culture and aesthetics in education, international education, media education or organisational education and obtain comprehensive knowledge in fundamental research, practical fields, methods and contexts of their chosen specialisation. Students use this knowledge to analyse and evaluate specific contexts, problems and structural requirements of professional fields in education.
In principle, all applicants with a Bachelor's degree in education are eligible for this degree programme. In certain cases, applicants with a degree in social education, health education or a related subject may also be admitted.
If you are interested in the degree programme and have a degree in a different subject or a degree from a different university in Germany or abroad, please contact the degree programme coordinator.
- Module I: General education I – Historical and specific aspects
- Module II: Specialisation subject: Theoretical principles of organisational education / Theoretical principles of cultural education
- Module III: Elective complementary module
- Module IV: General education II – Pragmatic and empirical aspects
- Module V: Specialisation subject: Practical fields and methods of organisational education / Practical fields and methods of cultural education
- Module VI: Field observation (specialisation-specific)
- Module VII: General education III – qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Module VIII: Specialisation subject: Contexts of organisational education research and practice / Contexts of cultural education research and practice
- Module IX: Field research (specialisation-specific)
- Module X: Master's module (Master's thesis, Master's examination, Master's seminar)
The degree programme is theory and research oriented; it does not focus on practical teaching methods.
Frequently asked questions about the degree programme:
At the beginning of the degree programme students have to decide which specialisation they want to choose (Culture and aesthetics in education, international education, media education or organisational education). They have to complete two compulsory placements (minimum duration: four weeks) in the practical areas of their specialisation. Students may combine the two placements and are encouraged to spend more than the minimum four weeks on their placements. The students are responsible for finding their own placements.
All applicants with a Bachelor's degree in education or in a subject involving education courses worth at least 60 ECTS credits and with a final grade of at least 2.5 (gut - good) are eligible. Applicants with a degree in related equivalent degree programmes can also apply if they have a final grade of at least 2.5 (gut – good) and if a substantial part of their degree programme covered topics of education.
Students who have not yet completed their Bachelor's degree but can prove that they have earned 140 ECTS credits and have achieved a final grade as set out in the admission requirements above can also apply. They have to submit proof of the missing achievements and grades from their Bachelor's degree programme within one year after starting the Master's degree programme.
Further information can be found in the degree programme and examination regulations (FPOPäd, Section 2).
Please find more detailed information on how to apply for a Master or advanced degree program on the following website: https://master.fau.de.
Degree type: Master of Arts (MA)
Type of study: Master
Standard duration of study: 4 Semester
Start date of degree program: Winter Term
Faculty: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology
Admission: Qualification assessment