Industrial Engineering and Management (BSc)
The subject combines technical skills with economic knowledge. Industrial engineers have to understand production planning and design as well as purchasing and controlling. The decisions they make must be acceptable both technically and commercially whether in the automotive industry, textile industry or in media. Industrial engineers are an important link between engineers, economists, scientists and sociologists.
Industrial Engineering and Management consists of two specialisations. The specialisation mechanical engineering is offered by the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the technical part of the degree programme focuses on the industrial development and production of technical products from micro screws to aeroplanes. Each subject focuses on design, development, planning, production, installation, metrology and quality management. Graduates typically work in production planning, logistics, technical marketing and sales and in consulting.
Information and communication systems is based on the popular degree programme Information and Communication Technology offered at the Faculty of Engineering. This specialisation covers digital transmission techniques, video coding and transmission, audio signal processing and communication electronics. With this specialisation, you can work in research and development management, technical marketing, business consultancy, innovation management or network planning in the mobile communications sector.
You can work in virtually all industries and may be considered before economists and engineers in areas where specific commercial and technical knowledge is required. Most industrial engineers work in production or in business consultancy. Your special asset is your skill to cope with both technical and management aspects.
You can work in the following areas:
- production, materials management and logistics
- technical marketing and sales, procurement, production and management in large corporations
- automotive manufacturing
- controlling, consultancy or
- finance and investment.
- You should have fundamental knowledge of mathematics and be interested in technology and business process management. A fair interest in school physics, mechanics in particular, is also required.
- If you want to know how technical products work, how they can be manufactured and marketed in the most efficient way, this is the right degree programme for you.
- There are many large industrial companies in the Nuremberg Metropolitan Region, in particular in Erlangen, where you can gain an insight into future work fields in placements and student trainee positions, such as Siemens, MAN, Baumüller and Diehl.
- Male and female industrial engineers have equally good career prospects. FAU offers programmes which are aimed at promoting women in engineering subjects.
- This degree programme includes a similar number of courses in Industrial Engineering and Management.
- You must have completed a pre-study placement in technology or business (at least six weeks) prior to starting the degree programme. For placement positions, please contact our placement office (Praktikumsamt Maschinenbau), which has a list of companies which have already taken on placement students.
- FAU has admission restrictions for this degree programme (numerus clausus procedure). If you want to start in October, please apply by 15 July at the latest. More information is available on the degree programme website.
Studienrichtung Informations- und Kommunikationssysteme
The FAU website provides an overview of the current application deadlines as well as information on the selection process and how to apply.
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Teaching Engineering in Vocational Schools (BSc), Business Administration (BA), Electrical Engineering, Electronics, and Information Technology (BSc), International Production Engineering and Management (BSc), Mechanical Engineering (BSc), Mechatronics (BSc), Medical Engineering (BSc), Business and Economics (BA), Engineering Mathematics (BSc), Social Economics (VWL) (BA), Information Systems (BSc), Information Systems (BA), Mathematical Economics (BSc)
Degree type: Bachelor of Science (BSc)
Type of study: One subject Bachelor's degree programme
Location: Erlangen, Nuremberg
Standard duration of study: 6 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Admission: Numerus clausus, Pre-study Placement
Size: (200+ Students)
Early entrance programme: yes
Part-time study: no
Faculty: Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law
Faculty of Engineering