International Business Studies (MA)
International Business Studies provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the complexity of international business. Students are supported in acquiring all the necessary skills required to succeed in an international environment. Special attention is given to the variety of approaches that firms choose to adapt their international operations to the diversity of laws, business practices, and cultures across the globe.
The emphasis is on increasing students' capacity to understand and analyse foreign operation modes and to make decisions related to foreign market entry and management strategies. Students develop essential communication and intercultural skills. A range of business language courses completes the international focus of the programme and prepares students for a successful career in an international setting.
The programme is designed for students who have successfully completed a Bachelor's degree in international business, business administration, management or a related subject, or a Bachelor's degree in another field, but with sufficient knowledge of international business.
The programme usually takes four semesters and is taught in English. A comprehensive understanding of the field is provided by core modules in the following areas (students have to choose 60 ECTS credits out of 90 ECTS credits of the following core modules):
- Environment of International Business
- Foundations of International Management
- International Strategic Management
- International Functional Management
- International Information Management
- Soft Skills
- International Finance and Corporate Governance
- International Corporate Sustainability
- International Relations
The elective modules focus on different area studies and allow the students to specialise in one of the following specific regions (30 ECTS):
- English-speaking countries
- Romance countries
The language of instruction in the elective modules depends on the chosen area. The elective modules include a language course (10 ECTS credits) relevant to the area. For further information see the curriculum.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Business, Business Administration, Management, Economics or a related subject
- Knowledge in business administration pertinent to the degree program
- Knowledge in statistics pertinent to the degree program
- English language proficiency
- Relevant work experience
- International experience
- Language proficiency in German, French and/or Spanish if students opt to take elective courses where the language of instruction is other than English
Language courses (10 ECTS credits) at the required level (minimum level: English: C1, all others: all other languages: 5 ECTS minimum A2, 5 ECTS minimum B1) are optional. You may choose a maximum of two different languages (5 ECTS credits each).
Free specialisation module
After consulting the degree programme co-ordinator, students can choose a module (up to 20 ECTS credits) from among all other university modules that are related to their regional specialisation.
These are not a compulsory part of the programme. However, many MIBS students do an internship during a semester of leave.
Admission to the degree programme is based on the following criteria:
- a Bachelor's degree in international business, business administration, management, economics or a related subject
- knowledge of business administration relevant to the degree programme
- knowledge of statistics relevant to the degree programme
- English language proficiency
- relevant work experience
- international experience
- language proficiency in German, French and/or Spanish if students opt to take elective modules where the language of instruction is one of these languages
Please find more detailed information on how to apply for a Master or advanced degree programme on the following website: https://master.fau.de.
Degree type: Master of Science (MSc)
Type of study: Master
Standard duration of study: 4 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Admission: No Admissions Restrictions
Early entrance programme: no
Part-time study: no
Faculty: Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law
Student Advice and Career Service
Student Advice and Career Service (IBZ)