Speech and language therapists do so much more than help patients get rid of a stutter. The profession is very diverse. Speech and language therapists diagnose and treat speech, language, voice, swallowing and communication disorders of all sorts in all age groups.
They are so-called non-physician practitioners and work independently in hospitals, rehabilitation centres, speech and language practices and special institutes for children with hearing impairments or speech and development deficits. Interdisciplinary partnerships between freelancers and other healthcare providers such as physicians, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and masseurs are more and more common.
Moreover, speech and language therapists with an academic background are in high demand in teaching, academia and research, especially with regard to the evaluation and development of diagnostic procedures and treatment concepts. In addition to logopaedic expertise, you obtain the skills required to work in an academic environment.
Logopaedics (BSc) is a model degree programme offered by the Faculty of Medicine together with the Erlangen vocational school for speech and language therapy (Berufsfachschule für Logopädie). The vocational training as a state-approved speech and language therapist has been converted into an undergraduate Bachelor's degree programme. The model degree programme was approved by the Bavarian State Ministry of Sciences, Research and the Arts on 30 November 2011 and received accreditation in November 2013.
It is the first state-approved degree programme of its kind in Bavaria. It comprises an orientation phase of two semesters and a Bachelor's phase of five semesters. Once you have completed the sixth semester, you sit the State Examination. If you pass, you become a state-approved speech and language therapist (staatlich anerkannte/r Logopädin/Logopäde). After the seventh semester, you are awarded a Bachelor's of Science degree.
- You can work as a speech and language therapist in hospitals, rehabilitation centres, speech and language practices and special institutions for children with hearing impairments or speech and development deficits.
- You can also work in treatment and consultation in the area of early intervention or at health authorities and schools for children with special needs.
- Speech and language therapists are always in demand in research and teaching.
- Or you can open your own practice.
- vocal and articulatory abilities
- good hearing and musicality (instrument, good sense of rhythm, ability to read notes)
- interest in medicine, psychology and education science
- good writing skills
- Practical training and academic input are closely linked.
- One third of the degree programme is devoted to practical training.
- The degree programme is offered at a state university, you do not have to pay tuition fees.
- Class sizes are rather small, therefore students receive excellent personal support.
- Thanks to the good individual support and educational supervision, students can develop their own specialisations and strengths.
- You have to apply for the degree programme by November (1 Nov – 30 Nov) of the year before you want to start the course. During an application day, you can get to know the staatliche Berufsfachschule für Logopädie, talk to teachers and take different tests. Your suitability and motivation for the profession of a speech and language therapist will be assessed.
- Courses and lectures may take place in other institutes in Erlangen, Nürnberg and Herzogenaurach.
The FAU website provides an overview of the current application deadlines as well as information on the selection process and how to apply.
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Would you like to get a better idea of the topics, questions and methods you can expect in a degree programme? If so, you can take a short test here with example questions about your chosen degree programme and studying in general. The test will help you to see how interested you are in the subject and whether the content of the degree programme is right for you.
Please note: To complete the test, you will be redirected to StudOn. StudOn is FAU’s official teaching and learning platform which you will be using during your future studies.
Type of study: One subject Bachelor's degree programme
Standard duration of study: 7 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Admission: Vocational Training Admission
Size: (1-24 Students)
Early entrance programme: no
Part-time study: no
Faculty: Faculty of Medicine
Student Advice and Career Service
Student Advice and Career Service (IBZ)