Mechanical Engineering (MSc)
Mechanical Engineering has a standard duration of four semesters and builds on the Bachelor's degree programme. Students acquire advanced knowledge and skills in engineering and are qualified for graduate research. They can choose the following programme specialisations:
- Mechanical engineering (AMB)
- Manufacturing technology (FT)
- Computer-aided product development (RPE)
- International production engineering and management (IP)
Specialisation: AMB, FT, RPE The programme specialisations in 'Mechanical engineering', 'Manufacturing technology' and 'Computer-aided product development' consist of the following modules:
Student's develop their own academic profiles according to the chosen programme specialisations, specialisation modules, project work and the Master's thesis.
To be admitted to IP, students must submit proof of advanced English language proficiency issued by the Language Centre. The Language Centre issues such proof if students have the following equivalent qualifications:
- An Internet-based TOEFL score of at least 90
- IELTS score of at least 6.0
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE) or Business English Certificate (BEC) Higher
- Level three or better in the placement test administered by the English HaF department at the Language Centre
- Two successfully completed language courses run by the English HaF department at the Language Centre at level two or better
The programme specialisation in 'International Production Engineering and Management' consists of the following modules:
Allowing students to choose from elective modules ensures that the degree programme covers a broad range of topics.
Link to Study guide: http://www.mb.studium.uni-erlangen.de/studierende/studienfuehrer.shtml
The Master of Science (MSc) is an internationally recognised academic degree and a professional qualification. It qualifies graduates for doctoral degree programmes in Germany and abroad and for academic work in research and teaching. It also qualifies graduates for careers in business, administration and politics.
A basic requirement for admission to a Master's degree programme is a good Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (minimum grade 2.5). If the final grade is >2.5, the applicant will be invited to an oral admission examination which lasts approximately 15 minutes.
Applicants are assessed based on the following criteria:
- Good knowledge of the foundations of the subject
- Good knowledge in a specialisation corresponding to an eligible specialisation in the Master's degree programme
- Description of a relevant, subject-related project
- Knowledge of the relevant literature
- A positive prognosis based on improving progress during their course of studies
Consecutive degree programme for the following Bachelor's degree:
- Mechanical Engineering
Related Bachelor's degree/admission to the Master's degree programme is possible with additional courses:
- Teaching engineering in vocational schools: if mechanical engineering was chosen as a programme specialisation or technical application field in the Bachelor's degree programme
- International Production Engineering and Management
- Medical engineering: if mechanical engineering was chosen as the programme specialisation or technical application field in the Bachelor's degree programme
- Industrial engineering and management: if mechanical engineering was chosen as the programme specialisation or technical application field in the Bachelor's degree programme
Applicants with a German university degree must submit the following documents:
- Two copies of the signed application form
- School leaving certificate (complete certificate)
- University degree certificate (such as Bachelor's degree) if already available
- Diploma supplement or complete overview of subjects and grades (academic record)
- Complete CV (including picture) bearing the date and original signature – please prepare your CV yourself, no templates available
- Letter of motivation/application letter including the date and original signature – please prepare the letter yourself, no templates available
- Registration form for the final examinations in the current examination period (if degree has yet not been completed)
Application via the online application portal Campo. More information on the application procedure is available at https://www.fau.de/studium/vor-dem-studium/bewerbung/anmeldung-zum-masterstudium/.
It is particularly easy for students with the IP programme specialisation to go abroad to study, complete a placement or to do a research project/Master's theses as the study plan incorporates specific mobility windows.
Please find more detailed information on how to apply for a Master or advanced degree programme on the following website: https://master.fau.de.
Degree type: Master of Science (MSc)
Type of study: Master
Standard duration of study: 4 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Summer Term, Winter Term
Language: English, German
Admission: Qualification assessment
Early entrance programme: no
Part-time study: no
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering