Philosophy is based on the freedom of thought. Therefore, students of the FAU Master's degree programme Philosophy enjoy a vast freedom of choice.
You want to focus on language philosophy, political philosophy or the philosophy of the Early Modern Period in your Master's degree programme? No problem. The content of the degree programme is tailored to the knowledge and interests of the individual Master's student.
- You choose one specialisation subject in theoretical or practical philosophy.
- The specialisation subject is also reflected the topic of your Master's thesis. All other modules in theoretical and practical philosophy can be selected irrespective of the specialisation subject.
- You can choose the content of the degree programme according to your interests. We will assist you: your personal mentor will help you set up your individual study plan and develop a strategy for your studies.
The degree programme consists of nine modules:
- Three minor focus modules (10 ECTS credits) which consist of two Master's seminars and a written assignment (approximately 12 pages)
- Two major focus or specialisation modules (15 ECTS credits) which consist of two Master's seminars and a written assignment on the specialisation subjects (approximately 20 pages). The written assignment is presented and discussed in one of the two seminars before it is finalised.
- Three elective modules (10 ECTS credits) which can be chosen from the entire range of subjects offered at the University
- A Master's module in which the Master's thesis is prepared
You are automatically admitted if you have completed a Bachelor's degree programme with philosophy as your first or second subject (or if you have otherwise earned 70 ECTS credits in philosophy) and your average grade in philosophy is 2.5 or better.
You can also apply if you are
(A) a student of philosophy with an average grade between 2.5 and 3.5 or if you (B) graduated from a different degree programme.
Such applications will be decided upon on a case-by-case basis.
Please find more detailed information on how to apply for a Master or advanced degree programme on the following website: https://master.fau.de.
Degree type: Master of Arts (MA)
Type of study: Master
Standard duration of study: 4 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Summer Term, Winter Term
Admission: No Admissions Restrictions
Early entrance programme: no
Part-time study: yes
Faculty: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology
Student Advice and Career Service
Student Advice and Career Service (IBZ)