Physical Activity and Health (MA)
Physical Activity and Health provides students with knowledge and experience in promoting health through physical activity and exercise for the prevention and rehabilitation of diseases.
Taught in small classes, the two-year programme emphasises how to develop, implement, and evaluate intervention strategies for the promotion of physical activity. Through active participation, students gain knowledge and experience in:
- developing intervention strategies for the promotion of physical activity and public health policies
- implementing physical activity and health promotion measures in specific settings such as companies and schools, and for specific target groups such as migrants and older people
- developing and implementing physical activity and health promotion programmes for individuals who are susceptible to certain diseases and health risks such as back pain and osteoporosis
- quality assurance and management of specific physical activity and health promotion measures
- scientific evaluation of specific physical activity and health promotion programmes
Physical Activity and Health is an international Master's degree programme open to students with a first university degree (Bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement).
Degrees from the following programmes will be accepted:
- programmes focusing on health or physical activity (Diplom, Master's or Bachelor's degree), such as sports science, medicine, health sciences, or physiotherapy from a German or international university
- other programmes focusing on health or physical activity (Diplom, Master's or Bachelor's degree) such as psychology, education science or sociology from a German or international university, or other comparable degrees
- The degree must have been completed with the minimum grade 'gut' (good) or equivalent.
Module 1: Introduction to Physical Activity and Public Health (1st semester)
Module 2: Health Enhancing Exercise I (1st semester)
Module 3: Rehabilitation Science (1st semester)
Module 4: Basics in Methodology (1st and 2nd semester)
Module 5: Communication and Co-operative Planning (1st and 2nd semester)
Module 6: International Physical Activity and Health (2nd semester)
Module 7: International Physical Activity and Public Health (2nd semester)
Module 8: Health Enhancing Exercise II (2nd and 3rd semester)
Module 9: Conceptualisation, Implementation, Evaluation I (2nd semester)
Module 10: International Internship (2nd and 3rd semester)
Module 11: Public Health Diagnostics (3rd semester)
Module 12: Diagnostics/Assessment and Rehabilitation and Prevention (3rd semester)
Module 13: Conceptualisation, Implementation, Evaluation II (3rd and 4th semester)
Module 14: Master's thesis (3rd and 4th semester)
In our experience, students may struggle with the following aspects:
(1) Lack of English skills: students who have passed an English language proficiency test (level B2 required) may still have problems following lectures and discussions, and reading course material. Also, some students have difficulties writing their term papers in English. A high level of English language proficiency is essential to complete this degree programme successfully.
(2) Insufficient knowledge of social science: some students are not aware that the degree programme involves aspects of social science (e.g. sociological and political theory) to sharpen their understanding of determinants of health beyond the individual level.
(3) Lack of experience in writing term papers or a thesis: some students did not have to write term papers in their Bachelor's degree programme. These students may have to practice writing academic papers.
My Bachelor's degree programme was taught in English, do I still need to provide proof of sufficient English proficiency?
If you are not a native speaker, yes.
I have a degree in nursing/pharmacy, am I eligible to apply?
No, unfortunately not.
What are the career opportunities for graduates of this Master's degree?
Some of our graduates do doctoral degree programmes at other institutions. Others practice physiotherapy or start careers in health promotion in the workplace. Applicants should be aware that the programme does not prepare students for specific jobs but qualifies them for professional work in the fields of rehabilitation, health promotion, and, specifically, physical activity promotion.
University degree focusing on health or physical activity or other degrees focusing on health or physical activity from a German or international university, or other comparable degrees. The degree must have been completed with the minimum grade 'gut' (good) or equivalent.
All non-native English speakers must provide proof of sufficient English proficiency with a minimum level of B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Basic knowledge of German is strongly recommended.
Please find more detailed information on how to apply for a Master or advanced degree programme on the following website: https://master.fau.de.
Degree type: Master of Arts (MA)
Type of study: Master
Standard duration of study: 4 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Admission: No Admissions Restrictions
Early entrance programme: no
Part-time study: no
Faculty: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology