Theatre and Media Studies (BA)
Are you interested in film production? Do you want to know more about the effects of characters' movements and voices on the audience? Would you like to find out more about set design? Then Theatre and Media Studies is the degree programme for you. However, be aware that the degree programme is mainly research-oriented and that you do not receive practical training as an actor, director or camera operator. Instead you will acquire fundamental knowledge in the history, theory and aesthetics of theatre and media. You will also learn how to compare and critically discuss different theatre and media phenomena and how to place them in the right historical context. You will be able to see and understand a larger theoretical context and apply your knowledge in almost every relevant field.
The FAU degree programme combines theory and practice. Technical exercises and practice projects are an integral part of the study plan. Lecturers with a background in theatre and media will give you an insight into different areas and working methods. We provide an extensive technical infrastructure, a professionally equipped stage area (experimental theatre), audio and video studios and editing suites.
There are numerous other opportunities to put your theoretical knowledge and experiences from the degree programme into creative practice: many students and graduates are involved in our initiatives such as the performance festival ARENA…of the young Arts, our campus media station funklust, the short film platform [ki’ta:so] or the culture magazine re›flex. You can also organise your own project and present it to a public audience at the Institute.
The degree programme prepares you for careers in areas such as theatre, film, television, radio, digital media, press and other cultural institutions. You will be equipped with creative skills and methods of critical reflection. You can also work in
- copy editing and journalism
- art and cultural management
- artistic direction (e.g. as a director or dramaturge)
- media production (video/audio)
- adult education
- press, public relations
- cultural education
- further study (such as the Master's degree programme in Theatre and Media Studies at FAU)
- The degree programme is suitable for everyone who is interested in theatre and media studies
- A unique combination of theatre and media studies as well as theatre and media practice.
- A variety of opportunities for individual career choices. You are equipped with creative skills and methods of critical reflection.
- Many independent student initiatives which give you an opportunity to get involved in creative work and take responsibility.
- Many collaborations with cultural institutions and festivals in the region (Erlangen theatre, Staatstheater Nürnberg, Filmhaus Nürnberg).
- The degree programme is not a training programme for editors, news presenters or directors. If you want to work in journalism, you should study journalism, do practical placements or attend a journalism school. If you want to be an actor or director you should study at a film school.
- If you do not like the theatre and cinema or if you think that watching television is a waste of time, Theatre and Media Studies is probably not the right degree programme for you. A keen interest in the subject is a prerequisite.
Can be combined*
Book Studies (BA), English and American Studies (BA), French Studies (BA), German Language and Literature (BA), History (BA), Greek Philology (BA), Hispanic Studies (BA), Indo-European and Indo-Iranian Studies (BA), Japanese Studies (BA), Cultural History of Christianity (BA), Art History (BA), Latin Philology (BA), Medieval Latin and Neo-Latin (BA), Scandinavian Studies (BA), Business and Economics (BA), Oriental Studies (BA), Education (BA), Philosophy (BA), Political Science (BA), Chinese Studies (BA), Sociology (BA)
*These courses are scheduled in such a way that the subjects can usually be combined without overlapping.
Can be combined after consulting a study advisor*
As it is not guaranteed that there will be no overlap between teaching times in this combination, you will be required to submit proof of consultation with a study advisor when enrolling. Please contact the Student Advice and Career Service (IBZ) or the Student Service Centre of the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology.
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
The FAU website provides an overview of the current application deadlines as well as information on the selection process and how to apply.
Degree type: Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Type of study: Two subject Bachelor's degree programme
Standard duration of study: 6 Semester
Start date of degree programme: Winter Term
Size: (100-199 Students)
Early entrance programme: no
Part-time study: yes
Faculty: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology